VEGAN GLUTEN-FREE THANKSGIVING: STUFFING-MUFFINS WITH MASHED POTATOES AND GRAVY
You know Thanksgiving is approaching when your first waking thought is stuffing. Last week I got out of bed with stuffing on the brain and started checking for ingredients when my mini muffin tin caught my eye. An image of individually sized stuffing-muffins came to my mind and ran to my computer to do some google image searching. I learned that stuffing-muffins are already a thing but I decided to take mine step further and top the with mashed potatoes and gravy…kind of like a savory Thanksgiving cupcake.
I am super excited to share this recipe with you. These Vegan, Gluten-Free Stuffing-Muffins with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy are going to seriously wow your Thanksgiving guests. I’ve always found the best part of the Thanksgiving meal to be at the end when all the flavors on your plate have mixed together and this recipe expedites that!
The key to this recipe is making sure your bread crumbs are on the small side. I sliced mine to about 1/2″ cubes. The recipe also calls for an egg replacer, something I usually don’t add to stuffing but it helps the muffins stay together. I used a neat egg but you can also make a flax “egg” by mixing 1 tbs ground flax seeds with 3 tbs warm water.
Below you’ll find my recipe for Easy Vegan Mashed Potatoes. I topped the whole thing with Miso Gravy and a sprinkle of parsley. After making this recipe I started thinking about a sweet version using cranberry-apple stuffing and mashed sweet potatoes…so stay tuned!
Easy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- 6-8 medium yukon potatoes, cut in half
- 2-3 tbs Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring pot of water to boil. Add potatoes and simmer until tender (about 15 minutes).
- Drain potatoes and place in large bowl. Add Earth Balance and use a potato masher or fork to mash.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Author: Ilene Godofsky
Recipe type: Thanksgiving
Cuisine: vegan, gluten-free
- 8 cups bread cubes (about 1 loaf)
- 3 tbs vegan butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 cups celery, diced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg replacer (see info above)
- 2½ -3 cups vegetable broth
- oil for greasing muffin tin
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Spread bread cubes out on baking sheet. Bake until toasted (about 10-15 minutes). Transfer bread to large bowl.
2. Heat vegan butter in pan on stove at medium heat. Add onion, garlic and celery and sauté until vegetables are soft (about 15 minutes). Add mixture to bowl with bread cubes.
3. Stir thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper and egg replacer into bowl.
4. Slowly add vegetable broth, being careful not to make bread too soggy, and stir. I added 1 cup at a time and let it absorb for a minute before adding more.
5. Grease mini muffin tin. Spoon mixture into each spot, packing it down and filling it slightly above the top. Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes, until edges are browned.
6. Remove from oven and let sit until cool enough to handle. Add a scoop of mashed potatoes on each muffin and top with gravy.